Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Putting on the Ritz...in Sarasota for FAM (Florida Assoc. of Museums) Conference

A short 3 hours West, North West from Miami is Sarasota, FL. Today, I hopped in a rented Dodge Avenger and hit the road with the Chief Curator and Folk Life Curator for the museum and made our way up to Sarasota.
This year, Sarasota is the hosting the Florida Assoc. of Museums (FAM) Annual Conference. Normally the hotels are nice...but this year...it's at the Ritz!
Recession? What recession?
The top picture is of the view from our room (I'm bunking up with our Chief Curator)...the next picture if from the courtyard at the South Florida History Museum--- not to be confused with the Historical Museum of Southern Florida (where I spend my days).
...and the final picture is of a double rainbow seen from the courtyard at SFH after a passing shower.
After visiting the SFH Museum we went to the various galleries on the campus of the Ringling School of Art and Design. The main building we visited--- well it had this new building smell that instantly transported me back in time to SMU. It was lovely.
Anyhow... tomorrow I am sitting on a panel discussion reflecting on the Key Note speech being delivered by acclaimed Museum professional, Elaine Gurian, who was one of my many Bank Street instructors. I'm really looking forward to it.

....sorry for the boring museum jargon post...but that's what I have been up to.






No comments:

Post a Comment