Monday, April 2, 2012

Music Monday: 50 Shades of Music in the Pages

I was a bit preoccupied last week. See on Friday March 23 after watching "The Hunger Games" my friends were talking about the current must read book, "Fifty Shades of Grey". I didn't think much of it, and then on Monday March 26 Summer in Newport blogged about the trilogy.  Curiosity hits me and when I get home I download the sample. I can't put it down! It's not what I was expecting...but it is very very good. Next thing I know I've read the first two books and have moved onto the third book. I've said it before and I will say it again...I am a slow reader...so getting through 1200 pages (according to my iPad) and being on page 500 of another 600 or so of the last book...with a 17 month old at home, work and other activities like the Junior League...well it's unheard of! But here I am telling you...this is what I spent all of my free time doing last week. As I was reading songs came to mind---the soundtrack to these books.
 There are lots of references to music the characters are listening to---but I also had music playing in my mind during part of the trilogy.

Book 1: Fifty Shades of Grey-
1. The Cardinals, "Lead Me Into the Night" I first heard this song in 2003 when my music loving friend Robyn introduced me to The Cardigans sophomore album. You may remember them for their song "Love Fool" Well their sophomore album is nothing like that song. It's low and brooding, emotionally charged and beautiful (apparently just like the character Christian Grey).
2.  Everything But the Girl, "Driving" a beautiful song about the lengths you will go to for the right person.

Book 2: Fifty Shades Darker-
1. Jason Mraz, "I Won't Give Up On Us" I love this song and it basically sums up the entire trilogy although the second book really has this undertone.
2. Celine Dion, "To Love You More" I know this is cheesy...but for some reason I kept thinking about this song while I read the book.

Book 3: Fifty Shades Freed
1. Mazzy Star, "Fade into You"  I can't tell you how much I love this song. It's so sweet and sexy and really bring back some great memories of trying to learn it on the guitar (fail) and of my mom's old apartment on Key Biscayne. It also captures the essence of this book and the entire trilogy.

So there you have it. My Fifty Shades of a Soundtrack. The movie rights have already been picked up...the industry is buzzing over who should play who in the film adaptation (which I have no idea how they will make these books into movies without being rated NC-17). Anyhow my vote for Christian is the devilishly handsome Matt Bomer.

Grey

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I will listen to the music, and have heard so much about Fifty Shades of Grey..once I get into a trilogy it is all three; I just have to keep going!

    I hope you will Come and enter my amazing Cross Bottle Guy Giveaway!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I'm guessing I should read this thing everyone is talking about? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I liked them and how quickly I got through them.

      Delete